Landlord / Tenant
The relationship between landlords and tenants is governed not only by the lease into which they enter, but also by statute and common law. Both landlords and tenants have rights under the law.
As a tenant, the law protects you from illegal evictions, requires the landlord to timely repair your apartment or home, and requires the landlord give notice in most instances before entering your apartment or home. As with much of the law, tenants may know they have rights, but they are unsure how to enforce them. That's where an attorney experienced in landlord/tenant issues can assist you. Common issues we see are:
- Infestations (Bed bugs, roaches, rodents, etc.);
- Landlords' failure to repair the premises;
- Landlords' Illegal evictions;
- Landlords' failure to return security deposits;
- Landlord's Unwarranted entry into the premises, or unwarranted entry by landlords' agents; and
- Landlords retaliating after tenants enforces their rights.
If you have an issue with your landlord, let us see if we can help.
On the other hand, as a landlord, you need to ensure your tenants paying rent and utilities, maintaining the premises, and refraining from interfering with others' use and quiet enjoyment of the same. Sometimes, despite your best efforts as a landlord, problems arise with tenants in these categories and an eviction is necessary. Other times, problems arise after the tenants vacate the premises. That's where an attorney experienced in landlord/tenant issues can assist you. Common issues we see are:
- Filing evictions;
- Collecting past-due rent;
- Collecting past-due utilities;
- Applying security deposits to damages to the premises or returning security deposits;
- Collecting monies owed for damages that exceed the security deposit; and
- Helping to defend against any of the claims listed above that tenants may bring against their landlords.
If you have an issue with your tenant(s), let us see if we can help.
9 East Kossuth Street
Columbus, OH 43206